An impressive Burlington & Missouri River station, completed in 1881, served as "a gateway to the capital city" for 45 years, states Alfred J. J. Holck, author of The Hub of Burlington Lines West. The ground floor provided space for passengers, dining, and baggage. The second floor was for dispatcher and administrative offices, while the third floor was reserved for employees, and included reading rooms.